SO I DIDN'T GET FIRED THIS WEEK...

That was a close one. *wipes brow*

Our department had this big deadline on the 9th. It was a do or die deadline. So since none of us lease administrators were even close to this deadline, the synopsis of the department was that we were going to get fired. Every time one of my fellow LA’s would exit the bosses’ office, another would ask, “Did you get fired?” and he or she would say, “Naw, not this time around.” Then another time, when I came out of her office, one asked, “So we still getting fired?” And I would say, “Not today. Probably tomorrow once the deadline arrives…”

Technically, none of our jobs are in jeopardy, but the task was presented in a way that said unemployment was on the horizon, if not complete. So then there was an email sent out requesting mandatory overtime. I tried to pull some extra hours. I came in early on days I knew I couldn’t stay late, and cut my lunches down to 30 minutes. Do you know how hard it is to get to work at 630 am, when your regular arrival time is 830. Even did a Saturday and a Sunday here and there. But one Wednesday, the byf and I took a trip to PF Changs, which caused me to call in sick on Thursday. Then on Saturday and Sunday, I didn’t come to work either, as I had to do some research for an upcoming school assignment. So Monday comes and my grand boss (my boss’ boss) asks to see my progress and when she learns that I’m not as far ahead as she thought I should be, she said I would get reprimanded if I didn’t finish on time.

On top of that, we still have our regular work. So I’ll be working on something from the project, and we’ll get an email from my boss, asking for status on rent rolls, because she hasn’t been cc’ed on any outgoing emails, and that the emails should have been sent out yesterday. So we’re like, “aw fuck” and start working on rent rolls. An hour later we’ll get an email about mimo forms and how they shouldn’t be on our desk for over 24 hours, and the same thing over and over again all dayum day. No one can work like this.

So I march my azz, right up to HR to release some frustration. I know that our grandboss had been evaluated by some of the managers under her, and the synopsis was that she assigns impossible deadlines. Ya think? So I tell my HR manager everything. She’s real cool. She’s the kind of hr person that has the back of the employee and will give you neutral answers and advice. So we get down to the school vs work issue. And I tell her that I’m not doing so well in school either, because I have to work so much and if I was succeeding in at least one, it wouldn’t be so bad. So now she’s pissed, because she knows how much my education means to me.

As I’m speaking, she’s writing everything down. So then she asks if she could approach my greatgrandboss with this issue, the CFO, and I’m like, uhh, ok, sure, why not. So then she says, hmm, that means that I’m going to have to talk to the 1st VP of HR also, is that ok, and I’m like well, I guess, umm whatever. She goes on to tell me that I’m not the only one that has complained and so on and so forth, so it won’t be like all of this came from me, just a collective issue from a whole department.

So I go back to my desk and I’m not looking forward to the next couple of days. On top of the upcoming deadline date, I’m sure that talk is going to bit me in the butt. Plus the grandboss was at Disney World for a week, and while it seemed like I should be pizzed at this, since I was dayum near living in the office, I was happy she was across the country.

So on Monday, the day before the deadline, I hear the CFO’s voice and he goes into the grandboss’ office. I’m super nervous, hoping I don’t get called in there also. I didn’t. But the next day, she asks me to stop by her office. OH, I could have died. So I decide not to put it off, and I’m in their with my lil professional leather covered journal.

She starts by talking about the review process that happened about a month ago. She then talks about how she fought to get me more money above the average raise of most in the company. And all the time my eyebrows are furrowed and my head is going in a slow boob. Then she says she’s raising my salary again. And I’m like, “Umm, Okaaay?” *looks around for the hidden camera* And that was it. She tells me that I’m a resource to the department, and she hopes I continue to make myself available to any new hires or temps. And I’m like, “Sure, whatev, they have questions and I have answers.” She asked me if I had any questions and I didn’t. She said since I looked so shocked, if I think of any later on, to feel free to stop by her office. And I’m ok, cool, I guess. *still looking around for Ashton Kutcher*

Soooo, basically, if you count last month’s raise and what not, I’m making 10k more a year. I guess I should be happy. *shrugs* Who wouldn’t want more money.

I usually raise my 401k and savings deposit when I get raises. But since my 401k is at 12%, I think I might let this raise ride out for a few months. Maybe buy myself a new wardrobe, like I’ve been meaning to. I’m still looking over my shoulder though.

5 comments:

  All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo

April 11, 2008 at 8:46 AM

PF chang is like a fast food restuarant...so u expecting to get fired?

  Marleaux

April 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM

No, I'm not getting fired. That was a joke amoung my peers, because none of us were going to meet the deadline. I'm actually expecting a promotion in the coming months, but we'll see.

  Tha BossMack TopSoil

April 14, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Be strong, the cut off one of my homegurls head last week, she use to to it big, real estate wise.

  swag_ambassador

April 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM

well that is def whassup. ballin outta control!

  Cassandra

April 22, 2008 at 12:49 PM

WOW!! That was some stress ish, Lo. I dont know if I could have kept my cool.

Congrats!!